Dr. Edward Clarkson works in the Electro-Optical Modeling and Analysis Group. The group specializes in the detailed modeling and simulation of electro-optical systems, and developing analysis of threats to military systems.
2009 Philosophy of Science, Computer Science
Georgia Insitute of Technology
2007 Master of Science, Computer Science
Georgia Institute of Technology
2000 Bachelor of Science, Computer Science and Mathematics
Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA
2009-present Research Scientist II
Georgia Tech Research Insitute
2000-2003 Software Engineer
Major Reports and Publications
1. Clarkson, E. Visual Search Interfaces for Online Digital Repositories. Doctoral Dissertation, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2009.
2. Clarkson, E., Desai, K., and Foley, J. ResultMaps: Visualization for Search Interfaces. In IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 15(6). (Proceedings IEEE InfoVis 2009), pp.1057-11064. (26% acceptance)
Conference Papers and Notes
3. Clarkson, E., Hurt, J., Zutty, J., Skeels, C., Parise, B., and Rohling, G. Supporting Robust System Analysis with the Test Matrix Tool Framework. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGSIM Conference on Principles of Advanced Discrete Simulation (ACM SIGSIM-PADS) 2013.
4. Clarkson, E., Navathe, S. and Foley, J. Generalized Formal Models for Faceted User Interfaces. In Proceedings of the IEEE/ACM Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL) '09, pp. 125-134. (Best Paper Nominee – 28% acceptance)
5. Clarkson, E. and Arkin, R. Applying Heuristic Evaluation to Human-Robot Interaction Systems. In
Proceedings of the AAAI Florida Artificial Intelligence Research Society Conference (FLAIRS) '07, pp. 44-49.
6. Clarkson, E., Lyons, K., Clawson, J. and Starner, T. Revisiting and Validating a Model of Two-Thumb Text Entry. In Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) '07, pp. 163-166. (22% acceptance)
7. Clawson, J., Lyons, K., Starner, T. and Clarkson, E. The Impacts of Limited Visual Feedback on Mobile Text Entry for the Twiddler and Mini-QWERTY Keyboards. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Wearable Computing (ISWC) '05. (Best Paper Nominee – 25% acceptance)
8. Clarkson, E., Clawson, J., Lyons, K. and Starner, T. An Empirical Study of Typing Rates on mini-QWERTY Keyboards. In Extended Abstracts of CHI '05, pp. 1288 - 1291. (25% acceptance)
10. Clarkson, E., Day, J. and Foley, J. An Educational Digital Library for Human-Centered Computing. In Extended Abstracts of CHI '06, pp. 646-651.
11. Clarkson, E. and Foley, J. Browsing Affordance Designs for the Human-Centered Computing Education Digital Library. In Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL) '06, p. 361.
Workshops and Colloquia
12. Clarkson, E. and Foley, J. Augmented Digital Library Search Interfaces with Visual Analysis Tools. In Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Information Visualization (InfoVis) '07 Doctoral Colloquium.
13. Clarkson, E. and Foley J. ResultMaps: Search Result Visualization for Hierarchical Information Spaces. In Proceedings of the CHI '07 Workshop on Exploratory Search and HCI, pp. 32-39.
14. Clarkson, E., Patel, S., Pierce, J. and Abowd, G. Application of Continuous Pressure Input to Mobile Interaction. GVU Tech Report GIT-GVU-06-20.
15. Clarkson, E., Day, J. and Foley, J. The Development of an Educational Digital Library for Human- Centered Computing. GVU Tech Report GIT-GVU-05-33.